Friday, May 11, 2012

you asked!

Humble apologies for the delay in replying to some of your questions. Here goes at least one for today!

This question was asked recently by a couple of people, in different countries!

How can you live like that?

Since I am quite content with life here in Nicaragua I had to turn the question back over to them and ask what they meant. Apparently they were concerned about lack of physical security, my low income, often no electricity and no water, and never being sure of where I would be living next.

Oh, living by Faith? It's easy! I have seen how The LORD has provided for my every need, not necessarily wants, but needs, at just the right time ever since I left the comfort and security of my home in Gainesville 5 years ago.

 I am well aware of the increase in crime here over recent years, especially in Managua, the capital, and take precautions as required. Safety is not guaranteed anywhere, and as Stacey Eldridge says: "Safety is not found in the absence of danger, but in the presence of Jesus." Let me tell you, there is no safer place to be than in the will of God.
As for the other issues, living here in a 3rd world country certainly helps you get your priorities in order.

Having no water for a month makes you really appreciate running water when you do have it. I remember last year, the orphanage up in El Crucero had been without water for a couple of months and the first time it rained hard, we sent all the children outside with their soap and shampoo to take a shower. They loved it. A Heavenly shower!

 
And who would have thought that the sound of a toilet flushing could make you feel so thrilled? I currently have running water for a couple of hours in the early morning and a trickle at random times over the weekend. Hey. You get used to saving water and bathing out of a bucket!

I am typing this with a flashlight headband, I must look like a coal miner right now, but haven't had electricity in my home for the past 5 days, except that oddly enough, one power outlet works! No lights or anything, so I have a small fan, a table lamp and this pc hooked up to it. Not only have I learned to be content in the midst of all this, but I actually find it hard being back in USA or UK and dealing with all lifes distractions and seeing so much go to waste.

My first 3 years of living here were without any fixed income, never knowing where the next cordoba was coming from. So when I was offered a position at NCA with a steady income/a living stipend of $300 per month it was like winning the lottery. It is amazing how far you can make that $300 go when you have to. You should try it some time!

 
At this time I wish to thank all of you who have sent in financial support over the past few years. It has enabled me to do many outreaches in the communities, to orphanages, old folks centers, deliver food parcels to the hungry, and take care of some extras for myself like repairs and fuel for my vehicle and I have been able to get some health issues taken care of, more about that later. So I thank you for your generosity and for your faithfulness with prayers.
I will continue to reply to your questions as time and internet allows.
I love hearing your stories too. Praying I can come and visit you in person over the summer.

May God continue to sustain you and shine His Glory down upon you.
With love in Christ
andrea x


No comments:

Post a Comment